Wednesday 12 June 2013

Greenland to start commercial netting!

My intention with this blog was not to air my political views but I feel this issue warrants some discussion.
I find this news very sad, I read this story this morning and it has left me feeling pretty empty. Despite all the advice, Scotland, Ireland, Norway and Canada have continued to support or increase their commercial Salmon fishing activities. Sadly, although predictably, this has led to the Greenlanders deciding this is not fair any more and deciding to resume their commercial netting of the Salmon in their feeding grounds, one of the key reasons for the massive crash in Salmon stocks in the 80's.

As Mr Salmond has been actively encouraging the renewal of dormant netting licences and even tuning them through paying grants I cant help feeling that we have been severely let down by an ill informed politician.

Here is a link to the full story:

http://www.fishandfly.com/news/3309-international-salmon-treaty-fails-yet-again.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.